Skip to content

Timeline for Waldershare, Eythorne, Elvington and Tilmanstone Colliery

Palaeolithic period – Flints found at Malmains Ridge dating to 400,000 years ago

Neolithic – Flints found at Malmains Ridge dating from 4,000 – 2,000 BC

Bronze Age – Barrows found at Haynes Farm, Tilmanstone Colliery area, Elvington, Eastling Down, and Waldershare Park, and hoards found at Malmains Farm and Waldershare

Iron Age – Pottery scattered at Malmains Ridge and La Tene brooch found at Waldershare

Roman – Pottery Scattered at Malmains Ridge and cremations founds at Golgotha Tunnel

Anglo Saxon – Cemeteries found at Barfrestone and Shepherdswell and an encampment found at Coldred

Norman – Coldred Motte and Bailey and Barfrestone Church

Important Dates

807 Cuthred, King of Kent, sold to his minister Aethelnoth, lands in the place called Heyghe Thorne.

824 Archbishop Wulfred gave the estate to the monks of Christchurch Priory.

1066 Before the Norman Conquest the lands were in the possession of Badlesmere.

1274 A dispute occurred over which ‘Hundred’ had jurisdiction over the parish of Eythorne

1322 The lands were owned by the Badlesmere family until coming into the hands of the Crown

1345 The lands were conveyed to John de Goldsborough

1422 John Monins purchased Waldershare estate

1448 Several transfers of land were in the possession of Sir Thomas Browne

1449 Thomas Browne was granted the right to hold a yearly fair in the parish of Eythorne on St Peter’s Day

1600 Transfer of lands were made to William Wither

1649 Lands were passed onto Mr. John Brett and later inherited through by marriage to Mr. John Wilkes

1705 Sir Henry Furnese purchased Waldershare Park estate and rebuilt Waldershare mansion
1917 Formal gardens and the Wilderness were laid out by by Sir Henry Furnese at Waldershare Park

1755 First recorded meeting house used at Eythorne n Coldred Road used as a Baptist chapel

1762 Eythorne House was built by Mr. Peter Fector

1765 First mention of a school at Eythorne

1800 Mrs. Mary Wilkes became the owner of Eythorne Court

1804 Eythorne Baptist Chapel was opened at Chapel Road

1851 The author Esther Copley died in Eythorne and was buried at Eythorne Baptist Chapel

1874 St. Peter & St. Paul Church at Lower Eythorne extensively restored

1890 Work ceased on a Channel Tunnel attempt and the Dover (Shakespeare) Colliery began development

1892 A permanent school was opened in Upper Eythorne

1895 Eythorne Parish Council began being held at Eythorne School, Sandwich Road, Upper Eythorne

1896 Arthur Burr set up the Kent Coalfield’s Syndicate

1896 40 bore holes were sunk across Kent searching for coal seams

1906 Guilford (Waldershare) Colliery began development

1906 East Kent Colliery (Tilmanstone Colliery) began development

1907 A second shaft was sunk at the East Kent Colliery, which was called the ‘Gabrielle Pit’

1909 Three sinkers were killed at the East Kent Colliery when a hoisting bucket fell into the shaft

1909 First application made for the construction of the East Kent (Light) Mineral Railway

1910 A third shaft was sunk at the East Kent Colliery, which was called the ‘Rowena Pit’

1911 Development of the East Kent Railway with a station at Eythorne and halt at Elvington

1911 The first 32 houses were built at Elvington

1912 The first coal seams were reached beneath the East Kent Colliery

1913 First coal raised at East Kent Colliery

1913 The Great Fire occurred at Waldershare mansion almost completely destroying the building

1914 First World War

1916 Tilmanstone Colliery Working Men’s Club founded

1916 First passenger trains services start on the East Kent Railway

1920 Unveiling of Eythorne War Memorial

1925 Richard Tilden Smith became the owner of Tilmanstone Colliery

1927 A further 230 houses were finished being built at Elvington

1928 A temporary school is opened for the children of families living at Elvington

1928 Opening of the Elvington Chapel on Milner Road

1928 The first Kent colliery community gala is held at Elvington Court by Richard Tilden Smith

1929 Construction of an aerial ropeway between Tilmanstone Colliery and Dover Harbour

1930 The Milyard Seam was reached beneath Tilmanstone Colliery

1930 The Bath House is opened at Tilmanstone Colliery by Member of Parliament, Mr. E. Shinwell

1931 Tilmanstone Colliery Working Men’s Club changed it name to Elvington Working Men’s Club

1937 A community sports field was laid out between Elvington and Eythorne

1939 Second World War

1939 Waldershare mansions house started to be used as the Dover wartime hospital

1947 Nationalisation took place with government ownership of all collieries across the country

1959 Elvington Welfare Hall was opened

1984 The year long national Miners Strike

1986 Tilmanstone Colliery closed

1987 Demolition of headgears and buildings at Tilmanstone Colliery begins

1990 Development of the Pike Road Industrial Estate

2000 Elvington Community Centre was refurbished and reopened

2002 Elvington Oral History Group was formed

2011 The first Elvington and Eythorne Heritage Event held at Elvington Community Centre

2011 Elvington Working Men’s Club was demolished

2013 Elvington and Eythorne Heritage Centre was officially opened at Elvington Community Centre

Our sponsors - thank you!

Click below for more information