Skip to content

Timeline for Waldershare, Eythorne, Elvington and Tilmanstone Colliery

    Timeline for Waldershare, Eythorne, Elvington and Tilmanstone Colliery

    Palaeolithic period – Flints found at Malmains Ridge dating to 400,000 years ago

    Neolithic – Flints found at Malmains Ridge dating from 4,000 – 2,000 BC

    Bronze Age – Barrows found at Haynes Farm, Tilmanstone Colliery area, Elvington, Eastling Down, and Waldershare Park, and hoards found at Malmains Farm and Waldershare

    Iron Age – Pottery scattered at Malmains Ridge and La Tene brooch found at Waldershare

    Roman – Pottery Scattered at Malmains Ridge and cremations founds at Golgotha Tunnel

    Anglo Saxon – Cemeteries found at Barfrestone and Shepherdswell and an encampment found at Coldred

    Norman – Coldred Motte and Bailey and Barfrestone Church

    Important Dates

    807 Cuthred, King of Kent, sold to his minister Aethelnoth, lands in the place called Heyghe Thorne.

    824 Archbishop Wulfred gave the estate to the monks of Christchurch Priory.

    1066 Before the Norman Conquest the lands were in the possession of Badlesmere.

    1274 A dispute occurred over which ‘Hundred’ had jurisdiction over the parish of Eythorne

    1322 The lands were owned by the Badlesmere family until coming into the hands of the Crown

    1345 The lands were conveyed to John de Goldsborough

    1422 John Monins purchased Waldershare estate

    1448 Several transfers of land were in the possession of Sir Thomas Browne

    1449 Thomas Browne was granted the right to hold a yearly fair in the parish of Eythorne on St Peter’s Day

    1600 Transfer of lands were made to William Wither

    1649 Lands were passed onto Mr. John Brett and later inherited through by marriage to Mr. John Wilkes

    1705 Sir Henry Furnese purchased Waldershare Park estate and rebuilt Waldershare mansion
    1917 Formal gardens and the Wilderness were laid out by by Sir Henry Furnese at Waldershare Park

    1755 First recorded meeting house used at Eythorne n Coldred Road used as a Baptist chapel

    1762 Eythorne House was built by Mr. Peter Fector

    1765 First mention of a school at Eythorne

    1800 Mrs. Mary Wilkes became the owner of Eythorne Court

    1804 Eythorne Baptist Chapel was opened at Chapel Road

    1851 The author Esther Copley died in Eythorne and was buried at Eythorne Baptist Chapel

    1874 St. Peter & St. Paul Church at Lower Eythorne extensively restored

    1890 Work ceased on a Channel Tunnel attempt and the Dover (Shakespeare) Colliery began development

    1892 A permanent school was opened in Upper Eythorne

    1895 Eythorne Parish Council began being held at Eythorne School, Sandwich Road, Upper Eythorne

    1896 Arthur Burr set up the Kent Coalfield’s Syndicate

    1896 40 bore holes were sunk across Kent searching for coal seams

    1906 Guilford (Waldershare) Colliery began development

    1906 East Kent Colliery (Tilmanstone Colliery) began development

    1907 A second shaft was sunk at the East Kent Colliery, which was called the ‘Gabrielle Pit’

    1909 Three sinkers were killed at the East Kent Colliery when a hoisting bucket fell into the shaft

    1909 First application made for the construction of the East Kent (Light) Mineral Railway

    1910 A third shaft was sunk at the East Kent Colliery, which was called the ‘Rowena Pit’

    1911 Development of the East Kent Railway with a station at Eythorne and halt at Elvington

    1911 The first 32 houses were built at Elvington

    1912 The first coal seams were reached beneath the East Kent Colliery

    1913 First coal raised at East Kent Colliery

    1913 The Great Fire occurred at Waldershare mansion almost completely destroying the building

    1914 First World War

    1916 Tilmanstone Colliery Working Men’s Club founded

    1916 First passenger trains services start on the East Kent Railway

    1920 Unveiling of Eythorne War Memorial

    1925 Richard Tilden Smith became the owner of Tilmanstone Colliery

    1927 A further 230 houses were finished being built at Elvington

    1928 A temporary school is opened for the children of families living at Elvington

    1928 Opening of the Elvington Chapel on Milner Road

    1928 The first Kent colliery community gala is held at Elvington Court by Richard Tilden Smith

    1929 Construction of an aerial ropeway between Tilmanstone Colliery and Dover Harbour

    1930 The Milyard Seam was reached beneath Tilmanstone Colliery

    1930 The Bath House is opened at Tilmanstone Colliery by Member of Parliament, Mr. E. Shinwell

    1931 Tilmanstone Colliery Working Men’s Club changed it name to Elvington Working Men’s Club

    1937 A community sports field was laid out between Elvington and Eythorne

    1939 Second World War

    1939 Waldershare mansions house started to be used as the Dover wartime hospital

    1947 Nationalisation took place with government ownership of all collieries across the country

    1959 Elvington Welfare Hall was opened

    1984 The year long national Miners Strike

    1986 Tilmanstone Colliery closed

    1987 Demolition of headgears and buildings at Tilmanstone Colliery begins

    1990 Development of the Pike Road Industrial Estate

    2000 Elvington Community Centre was refurbished and reopened

    2002 Elvington Oral History Group was formed

    2011 The first Elvington and Eythorne Heritage Event held at Elvington Community Centre

    2011 Elvington Working Men’s Club was demolished

    2013 Elvington and Eythorne Heritage Centre was officially opened at Elvington Community Centre

    Our sponsors - thank you!

    Click below for more information